How far have you gone in positioning yourself to attract the lowest individual health insurance rates? Have you limited yourself to one or two recommendations that your friends shared with you a years ago? Are you really certain you’ve exhausted all the steps there are to take to massive savings? Then check if you’ve thought of these…
1. You will spend less by having your kids insured through state plans. There are criteria that must be fulfilled before you are deemed qualified for such.
They will either be totally free or close to that so check to see if you are eligible. These state plans for children will save you a ton of cash if you have a child with a special ailment when compared to what you’d pay if you buy regular health insurance.
2. Using tobacco in any form will add to your individual health insurance rates. Chewing or snuffing tobacco, for example will cost you in higher rates.
Staying clear of all tobacco products will help you get cheaper health insurance.
3. Go for free clinics if you want to reduce your cost. You’ll either bring down your premium directly or have fewer and reduced co-payments to make this way. They are free ways for you to get professional medical advice and have regular check up. Some communities have such clinics and others may just be part of a group’s social responsibility program.
4. Shed excess weight and your individual health insurance premium will be lower. Your BMI or Body Mass Index is a very important factor used to calculate your risk to an insurer.
The higher an individual’s BMI rating, the more expensive their rates will be. You’re overweight for your height and sex if your Body Mass Index is high. Now do not wait until when you can lose 30 pounds because losing as little as five pounds can drop you into a lower BMI rating which leads to more affordable rates.
5. It will cost you far less and lower your rates if you buy your prescriptions over the internet. You can also get cheaper prices if you buy by phone. Companies who sell through the internet have lower overheads than brick and mortar businesses and this means that they can and (do sell) at lower prices. But to ensure you’re buying from the right company, check. Organizations like BBB can tell you if a company is trustworthy or not so don’t fail to check.
Don’t forget that while we want to save costs we also want to stay safe.